Wednesday, August 15, 2012

No one expects the Inquisition!

Just to show that I actually do finish models occasionally. Here is my Inquisitor Hector Rex and retinue. Particularly happy with the freehand on these models. The back of the psykers cloak is based on the 6th edition psy cards.

And next up on the painting desk is Inquisitor Solomon Lok! I've waited so long to paint this character and the time has come! His retinue of finely detailed servo skull and odd servitor guy will make for an interesting few days work. 

Monday, August 13, 2012


Right! So the engines are at least 90%. I'm getting there, and the big bloody gun too of course. pew pew! Made a quick base for it too. I'm thinking of adding an Ork Trukk cut in half as if its just done a fly by. Any thoughts? keeping the engines grimey and well used. Adding layers of bronze to give the front housing that brushed metal look, using my sponge brush. (See my second post for details on sponge brush)

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Welcome to my second post! 
The weathering begins. Ends. Is fixed and begins again! 
In which our hero creates his own brush and starts breaking stuff, paints yellow and breaks his fingers.

Week started like this. Slipped over stuck middle finger through fence. CURSE YOU GRAVITY!
I was thinking this would put paid to my job (colouring in) and my hobby (colouring in) and possibly even prevent me from doing my colouring in! Turns out its a great way to steady your hand! Give it a go. Loosely wrap your middle and ring fingers together with masking/surgical tape and try it out. Its steadied my hand and forced me to slow down and think about what I'm actually doing.

And here is the proof. After masking off the back fins and spending ages attempting to mask off the front section, I gave up and gritted my teeth and did it by eye. 3 layers of yellow perfectly straight with no masking on the nose!

I am awaiting the call to dragons den! Super simple to make this patented "Weathering Brush" you basically need a little roll of sponge and some masking tape. With this one I made a stubby end and a loose end to keep the patterns of damage and paint chips looking even. 

And if used correctly you end up with something like this!

As you can see I have highlighted some of the chips of paint with silver to make them pop and left others as my black and brown mix to give the impression of a single layer of paint being chipped off rather than all of it going straight down to the metal. 

Then went on to dirty up the seams and grunge up the wing. so excited was it with my new brush I went overboard on the chips. Basically making it look like it was being flown by "special pilots" rather than the Emperors finest.

So here is where we are. Up to date and going strong. the engines are next. 
Comments or crit are always welcome!


Thursday, August 9, 2012

Welcome to the first post of "four go to war." A new Warhammer painting blog to throw into the soup of painting blogs out there. As much to remind me how I did certain effects than to chronicle my work, but any comments or crit will be greatly and warmly accepted. 

I'll start big with Forge Worlds brand new Avenger strike fighter. Love the design for this beast, hats off to the amazing Daren Parrwood. I'll try and keep it as step by step as I can. But please leave a comment if you want any details on effects or techniques. So here goes! Please excuse the photos taken from my phone, finished model will be lit and SLI'd.

Step #1 
Obligatory unboxing shot. And because it took me bloody hours, the masking of the windows. and when painted/airbrushed i filled the inside of the cockpit with fimo (bluetac type stuff) to stop the inside from being painted black and blue and grey. Was definitely worth it. 

Step #2
Base coat. The parts were undercoated separately twice then once more after the body is built. Trying my hardest to keep the paint as thin as possible, avoiding clumping. Then I stuck it on its stand and began to regret it. The thing is massive. And kind of daunting to paint. 

Step #3
I didn't photo the progress of the pilots unfortunately! I just zoned out and painted until they were finished. a little NMM-sky on the goggles and some object source lighting on the joystick. didnt want to go over the top as the detail on them is wonderful. seems a shame that they would be cooped up under some frankly blurry plastic. 

Step #4
Airbrush! Please note these first few steps are spread out over several days. I just wanted my first post to be a good read. 

I use a top-loading brush with a compressor in a well ventilated room. Will give details of where to get good airbrushes to anyone that asks. 

The first coat was using Vallejo Air paints. Stunning paints that can just be stuck right into the airbrush, no watering down and barely any clogging. A base of dark grey working up to barley grey nearer the center of each plate. 

The second coat was a sky/baby blue... now stay with me on this. I decided to follow a more traditional method of plane design from WW2 and still used on many airforce planes today. And I think it works. Especially when I start the adding the chips and oil and grunge. 

Well that's all for today. More to come tomorrow!